Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident?
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, you may be wondering who is liable for your damages and how to hold them accountable.
When you come to our firm, we tackle every aspect of your case for you. We start by investigating your accident to uncover who was at fault. While every case is different, there are some examples of parties that can be held accountable for causing bicycle crashes:
- A negligent motorist responsible for intersection or crosswalk accidents
- Drivers who fail to pass cyclists at a safe distance
- A commercial driver or company that causes a preventable truck accident
- Manufacturers of defective bicycles, bike components, or defective products
- Public entities responsible for bus accidents or road defects
- Property owners that failed to address potential hazards
In some cases, you may be able to seek compensation from multiple parties. For example:
- More than one driver may share blame for contributing to your accident.
- If your crash involved a commercial vehicle, the driver, their employer, and others involved in the trucking operation may bear a share of liability.
- In some cases, it may be possible to hold private social hosts or drinking establishments liable for overserving guests or furnishing alcohol to minors who later cause drunk driving accidents.
- In the event you are injured by a motorist with a low-limit auto insurance policy, a driver who has no insurance at all, or a hit-and-run driver, you may be able to seek compensation through your own UM / UIM coverage.
Our attorneys work closely with private investigators and experts to fully assess all factors involved in our clients’ accidents. Our goal is to help you explore every avenue for compensation so as to maximize your financial recovery.
Recoverable Damages in Bicycle Accident Cases
Bicyclists have virtually nothing to protect them from suffering harm when they are involved in accidents with large motor vehicles. They are also more likely to suffer severe or catastrophic injuries that can come with a lifetime of suffering and additional expenses.
At Levinson Axelrod, P.A., we know cyclists and their families can face uncertain futures caused by painful recoveries, extensive medical bills, and an inability to work or earn a living wage. By working with medical professionals and expert witnesses, we can gain a better understanding of how your injuries impacted your life and how they can reasonably be expected to impact your future.
Generally, bicycle accident victims are entitled to compensation for:
- Hospital bills, surgery, and rehabilitation
- Future medical expenses
- Lost income and lost future wages
- Pain and suffering
- Disability and loss of quality of life
- Other financial and non-economic damages
Bicycle Laws in New Jersey
In New Jersey, bicyclists have important rights and duties outlined in Title 39 of the Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation laws. Some of the most important bicycle laws for both riders and drivers include:
Celine took what I thought would be a stressful situation and turned it into a wonderfully positive experience for me and for my family. Her passion for her job, and her compassion towards her clients, is without limit. She is a fighter.- P.G.
I recently had the pleasure of working with the remarkable attorneys, Celine and Richard, at Levinson Axelrod, and I cannot recommend them highly enough! Thank you for your exceptional work and for going above and beyond to secure justice for your clien- P.T.
"Thank you and your team for fighting so hard for me."
Thank you for your quick response and for the information. Most importantly, thank you and your team for fighting so hard for me. I am grateful to have had such a caring and diligent team representing me throughout this ordeal.- M.F.
"It was a pleasure to have you as my attorney."Adam I would like to thank you for everything it was a pleasure to have you as my attorney and I would recommend your services to anyone that I know that would need legal services.- D.L.
Request a FREE Review of Your Bicycle Accident Case
When you need experienced legal counsel to guide you through your injury case, turn to the skilled New Jersey bicycle accident lawyers at Levinson Axelrod, P.A.
Our firm is proud to serve clients in all 21 New Jersey counties, including Somerset, Middlesex, and Monmouth Counties. We take every accident case seriously, going above and beyond to secure the maximum compensation possible for our clients.
*Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
$850,000.00 Auto Accident Settlement
Kathleen recovered an $850,000 award through binding arbitration for a construction company owner who was struck from the rear in a motor vehicle collision in Lakewood, NJ.
$350,000.00 Auto Accident Settlement
Kathleen secured a $350,000 settlement for a motor vehicle accident victim who was struck from behind by a school bus in Waretown, NJ.
$250,000 Auto Accident Settlement
Attorney Kelley Lavery secured $250K in compensation through two policy limits settlements for a victim who was injured in a multi-vehicle car accident on Interstate 78.
$500,000.00 Auto Accident Settlement
Kathleen recovered half a million dollars for a client who was injured in a pedestrian accident.
$250,000 Auto Accident Settlement
Kathleen’s six-figure settlement arose from a motor vehicle accident involving a client who suffered serious knee injuries.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to learn more about these awards.