New Jersey Bicycle Accident Attorney
Injured in a Bike Accident? Protect Your Right to Compensation.
Levinson Axelrod, P.A. is a nationally recognized injury law firm that has served residents throughout New Jersey since 1939. As experienced advocates, we know the laws and regulations that are meant to protect cyclists, and how they are often violated by negligent motorists.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a traffic collision, our New Jersey bicycle accident lawyers may be able to help you pursue legal action and a financial recovery of your damages.
When you choose Levinson Axelrod, P.A., you can be confident knowing:
- We’re ranked among the “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News – Best Lawyers.
- We have New Jersey Supreme Court Certified Attorneys on staff.
- Our firm has won over $1 billion in compensation on behalf of our clients.
- We have recovered more than $350 million in the past five years alone.
Our team is available to discuss your case. Contact us to request a FREE consultation.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident?
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, you may be wondering who is liable for your damages and how to hold them accountable.
When you come to our firm, we tackle every aspect of your case for you. We start by investigating your accident to uncover who was at fault. While every case is different, there are some examples of parties that can be held accountable for causing bicycle crashes:
- A negligent motorist responsible for intersection or crosswalk accidents
- Drivers who fail to pass cyclists at a safe distance
- A commercial driver or company that causes a preventable truck accident
- Manufacturers of defective bicycles, bike components, or defective products
- Public entities responsible for bus accidents or road defects
- Property owners that failed to address potential hazards
In some cases, you may be able to seek compensation from multiple parties. For example:
- More than one driver may share blame for contributing to your accident.
- If your crash involved a commercial vehicle, the driver, their employer, and others involved in the trucking operation may bear a share of liability.
- In some cases, it may be possible to hold private social hosts or drinking establishments liable for overserving guests or furnishing alcohol to minors who later cause drunk driving accidents.
- In the event you are injured by a motorist with a low-limit auto insurance policy, a driver who has no insurance at all, or a hit-and-run driver, you may be able to seek compensation through your own UM / UIM coverage.
Our attorneys work closely with private investigators and experts to fully assess all factors involved in our clients’ accidents. Our goal is to help you explore every avenue for compensation so as to maximize your financial recovery.
Recoverable Damages in Bicycle Accident Cases
Bicyclists have virtually nothing to protect them from suffering harm when they are involved in accidents with large motor vehicles. They are also more likely to suffer severe or catastrophic injuries that can come with a lifetime of suffering and additional expenses.
At Levinson Axelrod, P.A., we know cyclists and their families can face uncertain futures caused by painful recoveries, extensive medical bills, and an inability to work or earn a living wage. By working with medical professionals and expert witnesses, we can gain a better understanding of how your injuries impacted your life and how they can reasonably be expected to impact your future.
Generally, bicycle accident victims are entitled to compensation for:
- Hospital bills, surgery, and rehabilitation
- Future medical expenses
- Lost income and lost future wages
- Pain and suffering
- Disability and loss of quality of life
- Other financial and non-economic damages
Bicycle Laws in New Jersey
In New Jersey, bicyclists have important rights and duties outlined in Title 39 of the Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation laws. Some of the most important bicycle laws for both riders and drivers include:
- Rights and Duties of Persons on Bicycles (39:4-14.1). Every person who rides a bicycle on a roadway has the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of motor vehicles.
- Operating Regulations (39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11). Bicyclists must right as near to the right of the road as practicable, and may move left to (1) make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket, (2) avoid debris, drains, or other hazards, (3) to pass a slower moving vehicle, (4) occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 6) travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded.
- Helmet Law (39:4-10.1). All cyclists under 17 are required to wear a helmet.
- Lights on Bicycles (39:4-10). When ridden at night, bicycles must have a front headlight and a rear red light visible from at least 600 feet away.
- Riding on Sidewalks. Cycling on sidewalks is not prohibited by state law, but some municipalities don’t allow bicycle traffic on specific sidewalks.
- Safe Passing: Because bicyclists have the same rights as motor vehicles, motorists who wish to pass them must treat them like a slow moving vehicle, and abide by rules for safe passing.
- Checking for Riders: Drivers of motor vehicles should take reasonable care to look for bicyclists before making a driving maneuver, especially at intersections.
- Safe Following Distance: Motorists should provide a reasonably safe distance and avoid getting too close to riders.
- Bike Lanes: Drivers should not park in or block designated bike lanes, and should not drive in bike lanes in order to pass other motorists.
Unfortunately, even bicyclists who follow all the rules and remain vigilant can suffer harm when others are negligent. If your bicycle accident was caused by someone else’s negligent acts, our award-winning attorneys at Levinson Axelrod, P.A. can help you take the steps toward holding them accountable.
Request a FREE Review of Your Bicycle Accident Case
When you need experienced legal counsel to guide you through your injury case, turn to the skilled New Jersey bicycle accident lawyers at Levinson Axelrod, P.A.
Our firm is proud to serve clients in all 21 New Jersey counties, including Somerset, Middlesex, and Monmouth Counties. We take every accident case seriously, going above and beyond to secure the maximum compensation possible for our clients.
Contact us to discuss your case during a FREE consultation.
Tractor-Trailer Jury Verdict $8,000,000
A 35-year-old laborer who resides in Kearny was seriously injured while working on the median of a highway when a passing tractor-trailer lost a wheel that struck him. Evidence at trial established that after a recent tire change, the lug nuts were not properly secured by both the owner and the independent contractor who had installed the tire. Our client suffered severe head and orthopedic injuries and is now totally disabled as a result of the accident.
Personal Injury Settlement $7,000,000
A Middlesex County man was severely injured and burned as a result of a collision with a truck. The truck driver had lost control of his vehicle and had come through a median barrier which had failed to redirect the truck away from oncoming traffic. Expert testimony established that the median barrier was defective and therefore failed to protect motorist from this type of accident.
Personal Injury Jury Verdict $6,000,000
A female drunk driver crashed into plaintiff’s vehicle causing multiple fractures to the right ankle and foot. Plaintiff’s doctor testified that plaintiff would be under pain management protocol for the rest of his life due to this condition.
Tractor-Trailer Settlement $3,700,000
A Morristown woman was injured when her vehicle was struck by a tractor-trailer that lost control on black ice on Interstate 287. The defendant's truck had jack-knifed as it was changing lanes in order to avoid an earlier accident. The accident resulted in our client suffering severe head injuries.
Motorcycle Collision Settlement $2,500,000
A young man was seriously injured while riding his motorcycle to work when another driver made a left hand turn in front of him, leaving our client had no memory of the accident. He suffered a number of serious fractures and underwent multiple surgeries, leaving him with disabilities. The case settled on the second day of trial.
Auto Accident Settlement $2,500,000
Levinson Axelrod Partner, Mark V. Kuminski represented a local Franklin Township woman who was involved in a three-car motor vehicle accident. The incident occurred when one of the drivers, later named as the defendant in the personal injury lawsuit filed by Mark and our firm, rear-ended a vehicle that had been stopped. Mark’s ability to express the full scope of damages incurred by our client, proved successful in compelling the jury to rule in our client’s favor.
Tractor-Trailer Judgment $2,000,000
A truck driver was injured in a chain reaction collision accident on the New Jersey Turnpike. The defendant had been operating a tractor-trailer in front of our client's vehicle and had jackknifed in an attempt to bring its vehicle to an abrupt stop. Our client's vehicle then struck the defendant's trailer from behind, causing our client serious leg injuries, resulting in amputation.
Auto Accident Settlement $1,750,000
A father and daughter were killed in motor vehicle accident when the vehicle they were passengers in was struck by the defendant's delivery truck. Evidence established during discovery revealed that the delivery truck driver had run a red light and was also speeding at the time of the accident.
Personal Injury Settlement $1,500,000
A father and son were loading baggage into their car in front of one of the terminals at Newark Airport when a limousine driver, in an argument with a police officer, suddenly gunned his engine striking the two men and their car. Our clients both suffered severe injuries to their knees and legs.
Auto Accident Settlement $1,500,000
Our client was a passenger in a vehicle involved in a single car accident, which occurred when the driver of the vehicle she was in lost control while passing another car. There was an allegation that the driver was racing another car when the accident occurred. Our client sustained cervical and lumbar injuries and was ultimately required to undergo surgery on her neck.
Levinson Axelrod, P.A. is committed to helping good people through difficult times. We build real relationships and make communication a priority to provide the best possible service and results.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to learn more about these awards.