What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice in New Jersey occurs when a healthcare provider fails to meet accepted standards when treating patients. A deviation of the standard of care, in short, is medical negligence.
Determining if a provider’s actions rose to the level of malpractice will require an investigation into the facts of your case. Generally, a provider is held liable for malpractice if they failed to act in a manner that a skilled, knowledgeable, and reasonable provider would act under the same or similar circumstances.
Common examples of medical malpractice:
Can I Sue for Medical Malpractice in New Jersey?
Plaintiffs who bring medical malpractice actions must generally prove:
- The health care provider owed the Plaintiff a legal duty of care.
- The provider was negligent in failing to meet the duty of care.
- Medical negligence was a substantial cause of injury.
- Plaintiffs suffered damages as a result.
A patient only has a viable medical malpractice claim if they suffered injuries. They must also be able to prove that a provider was negligent and that negligence was a substantial cause of their injuries.
Because not every injury that occurs in a medical setting constitutes malpractice, it can be difficult to know when you might have a case. Consulting with malpractice lawyers in New Jersey is the most effective way to determine if you have a medical malpractice case in NJ. Levinson Axelrod, P.A. represents victims cases involving injury and wrongful death arising from medical malpractice. Contact us for a FREE case review.
Medical Malpractice Statistics
According to the Institute of Medicine, medical negligence happens frequently in the U.S. According to Johns Hopkins Medicine:
- More than 250,000 people die each year due to medical negligence
- Medical errors cause 10% of all U.S. deaths
- Medical errors are the third leading cause of death nationwide
A New Jersey malpractice attorney can help you by guiding you through the litigation process, representing you in court, and gathering the necessary documentation required to prove that your injuries or loss resulted from medical malpractice.
The following are more benefits to hiring a New Jersey medical malpractice attorney:
- Your lawyer can handle all the paperwork related to your case
- Your attorney can negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf
- Your lawyer can determine the value of your claim
- Your attorney can help you obtain the best possible settlement
- Your lawyer can ensure you do not make any mistakes during the legal process
If you or a loved one have been injured in a medical malpractice incident, contact our firm. We may be able to help you assess if someone else’s fault is grounds for a lawsuit.
Celine took what I thought would be a stressful situation and turned it into a wonderfully positive experience for me and for my family. Her passion for her job, and her compassion towards her clients, is without limit. She is a fighter.- P.G.
I recently had the pleasure of working with the remarkable attorneys, Celine and Richard, at Levinson Axelrod, and I cannot recommend them highly enough! Thank you for your exceptional work and for going above and beyond to secure justice for your clien- P.T.
"Thank you and your team for fighting so hard for me."
Thank you for your quick response and for the information. Most importantly, thank you and your team for fighting so hard for me. I am grateful to have had such a caring and diligent team representing me throughout this ordeal.- M.F.
"It was a pleasure to have you as my attorney."Adam I would like to thank you for everything it was a pleasure to have you as my attorney and I would recommend your services to anyone that I know that would need legal services.- D.L.
Over $1 Billion Recovered for Victims and Families
Levinson Axelrod has recovered more than $1 billion for victims harmed by negligence, and more than $350 million in the past 5 years alone.. Some of our recent results include:
- $7 million settlement for a client who was seriously injured in a trucking collision.
- $6 million recovery for a client who suffered multiple injuries in a drunk driving accident.
- $2 million settlement over a fatal surgical error for the family of a 71-year-old woman who died from complications arising from an aortic tear during kidney surgery at CentraState Medical Center in Freehold.
- $1.9 million settlement (premises liability) against a local supermarket over failures to perform CPR on a man who suffered a heart attack.
- $600,000 jury verdict for a client who suffered an injury to his spinal accessory nerve (SAN) during a surgical procedure to remove a fatty lipoma on his neck.
*Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
$12,500,000 Medical Malpractice Settlement
The Levinson Axelrod, P.A. team obtained a $12.5 million dollar settlement on behalf of a client who was injured due to medical malpractice.
$2,000,000 Medical Malpractice Settlement
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to learn more about these awards.