Inadequate Security Claim
Victims of Crime Lawsuits in New Jersey
There are few things more harrowing than falling victim to violent criminal behavior; this is something that is made even worse if the crime could have been prevented. In New Jersey, premises owners and operators are required to take reasonable actions to protect visitors who arrive on their premises and to shield them against potential violent crimes. While they cannot always deter human behavior, there are steps that they are legally expected to take.
For example, premises owners and/or operators should ensure there is sufficient security in the form of:
- Adequate lighting—especially in areas known to be dangerous
- Locks, alarms, and cameras installed and maintained as needed
- Proper presence of security guards around the area
- Security cameras that are properly, regularly monitored
Of course, what is deemed to be an adequate level of security will depend on the type of premises, time of day, and more. If, however, the owner and/or operator failed to provide a safe premises for their visitors, they could be held legally liable for the injuries and damages sustained during the violent crime.
Proving an Inadequate Security Claim
In cases revolving around inadequate security, the plaintiff and their attorney will need to prove that the owner and/or operator of the premises did not exercise reasonable care in discovering similar violent criminal activities in the area or warning the plaintiff so that they could have avoided the injury.
They will also need to show the following:
- The plaintiff was legally on the property;
- The defendant breached their duty to provide adequate security;
- The plaintiff was injured due to acts that could have been reasonably foreseeable;
- The plaintiff sustained actual damages; and
- The plaintiff would not have suffered but for the defendant’s breach of duty.
Call Today to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation: (732) 440-3089
If you would like to discuss your claim with a premises liability attorney you can trust, we encourage you to get in contact with Levinson Axelrod, P.A. as soon as possible. We have been in practice for 80 years and have the resources to take on cases both large and small. You can count on us to protect you.
Fight for full and fair compensation with our help. Start with a free consultation!