Roadway safety is a major concern in every state. While public safety issues are what drive our government to pass and enforce strict traffic laws, they can also prompt lawmakers into finding creative ways to reduce risks on local roads through prevention. One way New Jersey does this is by offering a rate reduction for auto insurance following the completion of a voluntary defensive driving course.
Under Title 17 Section 17:33B-45.1 of the New Jersey Statutes, motorists with a valid New Jersey driver’s license are eligible for reduced auto insurance costs if they complete an approved defensive driving course. Here are a few details:
- The auto insurance discount is valid for 3 years from the date of completion, after which drivers can take the course again to maintain reduced insurance rates.
- Reduced rates for PIP coverage, property and physical damage, and bodily injury liability are determined by your insurance carrier and your personal driving record. The state-mandated minimum reduction is 5%.
- Approved defensive driving courses can also be taken once every 5 years to remove points a incurred on your driving record. Up to 2 points may be removed each 5-year period.
- In order to qualify for a reduced auto insurance rate, drivers must complete a course which has been approved by the state. The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) provides a list of all approved vendors, including in-person classroom providers and online course providers.
Courses are typically 6 hours in length and will require drivers to take and pass a short, multiple-choice final exam with a score of 80% or higher in order to qualify for auto insurance or point reductions. Courses cover a range of topics related to New Jersey traffic laws and defensive driving, including:
- Highway safety
- New Jersey traffic laws
- Drunk and drugged driving
- Driving emergencies
- Vehicle maintenance
Services like idrivesafely offer online courses at very affordable rates, and often have sales and discounts for seniors to help drivers save even more.
Defensive Driving: Skills Worth Learning
Most motor vehicle accidents are caused by driver error and negligence, which is why it is so crucially important to practice the defensive driving skills that can help you avoid preventable wrecks. At Levinson Axelrod, P.A., many of our firm’s attorneys and their families have taken this course, and believe it’s a great way to learn and refine the tools which can very well save lives, with the added incentive to save money on your auto insurance at the same time.
At Levinson Axelrod, P.A., our personal injury attorneys have been fighting for injured victims and families across New Jersey since 1939. Over the many years we’ve been in practice, we have seen how the negligence of motorists can lead to tragic consequences. We encourage you to learn more about defense driving courses and apply those skills every time you’re behind the wheel. Because we know negligence can still result in injuries for even the most defensive of drivers, we’re also readily available to help anyone with questions about their rights following motor vehicle accidents. To discuss a potential case, call (732) 440-3089.