Rockaway Car Accident Lawyer
Injured in a Car Accident in Rockaway, NJ?
At Levinson Axelrod, P.A., we are committed to protecting the rights of the injured. Our Rockaway car accident attorneys have earned a reputation as one of the state’s most respected personal injury firms. We put our clients first, and we have a track record of success that includes numerous high-value settlements and verdicts. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident in Rockaway, NJ, we can help you fight for just compensation.
Common Types of Car Accidents
A car accident, also known as a traffic collision, occurs when a vehicle collides with another vehicle, pedestrian, animal, road debris, or other stationary obstruction. These accidents can range from minor fender benders to catastrophic collisions resulting in severe injuries or fatalities.
Common types of car accidents include:
- Rear-end collisions: These occur when one vehicle strikes the vehicle in front of it from behind, often due to tailgating, sudden stops, or distracted driving.
- T-bone or side-impact collisions: These accidents happen when the front of one vehicle crashes into the side of another vehicle, often at intersections or when one driver fails to yield the right of way.
- Head-on collisions: These are among the most severe accidents, involving two vehicles colliding front-to-front. They often occur on undivided highways or as a result of wrong-way driving.
- Single-vehicle accidents: These involve only one vehicle and can result from factors such as loss of control, mechanical failure, or striking a stationary object like a tree or guardrail.
- Multi-vehicle pileups: These accidents involve three or more vehicles and often occur on highways or in adverse weather conditions when drivers are unable to stop in time to avoid a collision.
- Pedestrian or cyclist accidents: These occur when a vehicle collides with a pedestrian or cyclist, often at crosswalks, intersections, or along roadways.
- Rollover accidents: These accidents involve a vehicle flipping onto its side or roof, often as a result of sudden maneuvers, high speeds, or collisions with other vehicles or obstacles.
Understanding these common types of car accidents can help drivers take precautions to prevent them and stay safe on the road.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can occur due to various factors, and understanding these common causes can help drivers mitigate risks and enhance road safety. Some of the most prevalent causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving: This is one of the leading causes of car accidents. Distractions such as texting, talking on the phone, eating, adjusting the radio, or interacting with passengers can divert a driver's attention from the road, increasing the risk of collisions.
- Speeding: Driving at speeds higher than the posted limit or too fast for road conditions reduces a driver's ability to react to hazards, increases stopping distances, and exacerbates the severity of accidents.
- Driving under the influence (DUI): Operating a vehicle while impaired by alcohol, drugs, or prescription medication significantly impairs judgment, coordination, and reaction times, leading to a higher likelihood of accidents.
- Reckless driving: Behaviors such as tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, disregarding traffic signals, and failing to yield the right of way endanger both the driver and other road users.
- Inclement weather: Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, ice, fog, or high winds reduce traction, visibility, and overall vehicle control, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Fatigue: Driving while fatigued or drowsy impairs alertness, concentration, and reaction times, making it more difficult for drivers to effectively navigate the road and respond to hazards.
- Poor road conditions: Potholes, uneven pavement, debris, construction zones, and inadequate signage can contribute to accidents by causing drivers to lose control or collide with obstacles.
- Inexperienced drivers: Lack of experience, especially among young or newly licensed drivers, can lead to errors in judgment, poor decision-making, and difficulty handling unexpected situations on the road.
- Vehicle defects or malfunctions: Mechanical failures such as brake failure, tire blowouts, or steering problems can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles and result in accidents.
- Failure to follow traffic laws: Disregarding traffic signals, signs, and rules of the road increases the likelihood of collisions and disrupts the flow of traffic, creating hazardous conditions for all road users.
What Are the Car Accident Laws in New Jersey?
After a car accident in New Jersey, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses. However, to secure a favorable settlement or verdict, you will need to prove that someone else was at fault for the accident. New Jersey is a “no-fault” car insurance state, which means that car accident victims must first turn to their own insurance policies for compensation.
However, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver if you have sustained:
- Loss of a body part
- Significant scarring or disfigurement
- A displaced fracture
- A permanent injury
- Significant limitations of use of a body part or system
- A serious injury that prevents you from performing your daily activities for at least 90 days
Additionally, if your medical expenses exceed your PIP coverage, you may be able to file a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance policy. An experienced car accident lawyer in Rockaway can evaluate your case and help you determine the best way to proceed.
Why Choose Levinson Axelrod, P.A.?
At Levinson Axelrod, P.A., we understand that no two car accidents are exactly the same. That’s why we take the time to get to know you and your case. Our Rockaway car accident lawyers have successfully handled thousands of cases, and we have what it takes to effectively represent you, too.
When you choose Levinson Axelrod, P.A., you can expect:
- Experience: We have been serving clients throughout New Jersey since 1939, and we have a proven track record of success.
- Results: Over the years, our firm has secured more than $1 billion in settlements and verdicts on behalf of the injured and the wronged.
- Accessibility: We are available to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We even make home and hospital visits to our clients who are unable to come to us.
- Resources: We have the resources to take on any opponent, including large corporations and insurance companies.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to learn more about these awards.