Fatal workplace injuries steadily increased throughout the U.S., according to the most recently available data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Aside from showing a 7% increase in workplace deaths from 2015 to 2016, the statistics also provide insight into a range of occupational risks faced by all type of workers in a range of industries. Below, our legal team at Levinson Axelrod, P.A. breaks down some of the data regarding fatal workplace injuries in New Jersey and the U.S.
Fatal Workplace Accidents in New Jersey
According to the BLS, there were a total of 101 fatal workplace injuries in New Jersey in 2016. Here are a few of the key statistics regarding those incidents:
Fatal Injuries by Major Event – The BLS groups data on fatal workplace accidents into six major categories. In New Jersey and throughout the U.S., transportation accidents (including car and truck accidents) consistently cause the most fatal injuries. The breakdown in New Jersey is as follows:
- Transportation accidents – 36
- Slips, trips, and falls – 26
- Contact with equipment and object – 21
- Violence and injuries caused by animals or persons (homicides) – 12
- Exposure to harmful environments or substances – 6
- Fires and explosions – 0
By Gender – Men in the U.S. are more than 12 times more likely to be fatally injured in the workplace than women. That is true in New Jersey, where a total of 95 men died from fatal workplace injuries, as compared to just 6 women.
By Race / Ethnicity – The BLS tracks fatal workplace injuries by the race or ethnicity of victims. While numbers vary from year to year, data from 2016 shows that New Jersey was among the top 10 states for the average number of fatal workplace injuries per 1 million working people among Black or African-Americans (38.8) and Asian or Asian-Americans (13.7).
Occupations Causing the Most Fatal Injuries – When it comes to the most fatal injuries by occupation in New Jersey, the list is as follows:
- Production, transportation, and material moving
- Natural resources, construction, and maintenance
- Service occupations
- Management, business, science, and arts
- Sales and office occupations
- Military occupations
Fatal Workplace Accidents: Let Proven Lawyers Protect Your Rights
At Levinson Axelrod, P.A., our legal team has been focused exclusively on protecting the rights of injured victims and families since 1939. This includes not only workers who suffer job-related injuries, but also families who lose loved ones in tragic and unexpected fatal workplace accidents. Because we know that families can experience tremendous suffering after such profound losses, we are intent on providing the support they deserve during these difficult times, as well as the high quality legal representation they need to protect their rights and navigate the legal pathways toward essential benefits and compensation.
When it comes to fatal workplace accidents, we help surviving family members explore their available legal options. These may include:
- Seeking death benefits through an employer’s workers’ compensation insurance, which can provide compensation for funeral expenses and a percentage of the deceased’s weekly wages.
- Pursuing a civil personal injury lawsuit against a third party (not the victim’s employer) for their role in causing a preventable fatal accident.
- Filing a civil product liability lawsuit against a manufacturer, distributor, or another company that made a defective product which caused a fatal workplace injury. This can include a defective industrial machine or products containing harmful substances that cause fatal illnesses due to occupational exposure.
While no amount of money can make up for the loss of a loved one, securing needed benefits and compensation can be critical to helping families ease their financial concerns and make ends meet. In some cases, such as those involving civil personal injury or product liability lawsuits, legal action can also allow for families to obtain a sense of justice by holding negligent parties accountable for their conduct, and prompting changes that can protect others from suffering harm due to similar causes.
If you would like learn more about your rights as a surviving family member after a fatal workplace accident, our caring and compassionate team at Levinson Axelrod, P.A. is here to help. Contact us for a FREE consultation. We proudly serve clients throughout New Jersey from multiple office locations.