Free Cameras Made Available to Prevent Nursing Home Abuse

New Jersey’s Office of the Attorney General recently released information about their new program to combat nursing home abuse, the Safe Care Cam.

This program is intended to provide a new layer of protection for elderly citizens. The way it works is straightforward: if you suspect that your elderly loved one is being neglected, abused, or mistreated by their health care provider, you can sign up to receive a micro-surveillance camera that can be easily hidden in a room and used to confirm that abuse is occurring. The program will provide these cameras to participants for free for a 30-day period. In order to sign up for the program, you must:

  1. Call the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs at (800) 242-5846 or (973) 504-6375 and leave a voicemail with your name and a way to contact you after following the voice prompts.
  2. A staff member will then reach out to you in order to provide information you need to set up an appointment to pick up your camera.

In order to pick up your camera, you will need to follow additional steps when you arrive for your appointment:

  • Provide a copy of official identification like a passport or driver’s license.
  • Provide contact information, including an address and a phone number.
  • Sign a contract that outlines the rules you need to follow to participate in the Safe Care Cam program.

Once you have completed this process, a staff member will quickly train you on how to use the camera. You can also request to be loaned the camera for more than the default 30 days.

If you or someone you love is the victim of abuse, contact our New Jersey abuse attorneys at Levinson Axelrod have dedicated their careers to providing injured victims with the experienced legal representation they need. Since our firm first opened its doors more than 75 years ago, we have secured more than $1 billion in verdicts and settlements for our clients. You can discuss your case with one of our attorneys today by calling us at (732) 440-3089, or you can send us your information through our online form to start out with a free case evaluation.

Related Posts: